1. Development and design
• Develop, test, and implement new software programs.
• Design and update software application. This includes, but is not limited to: database input, Data Communication Processes and User Interfaces.
• Unit testing, maintain and recommend software improvements to ensure strong functionality and optimization.
• Independently install, customize and integrate commercial software packages.
• Create root cause analysis report for system issues.
• Work with experienced team members to conduct root cause analysis of issues, review new and existing code and/or perform unit testing.
• Identify ideas to improve system performance and impact availability.
• Resolve technical design issues or any application issue.
• Input into the development of technical specifications and plans.
• Review and Analyze user requirements and convert requirements to design documents.
• Compile timely, comprehensive and accurate documentation and or reports as requested.
2. System integration
• Design the overall integration architecture in conjunction with experts on the target systems.
• Design and code integration components including plug-ins, messaging (and supporting business rules).
• Estimate effort required for each integration point enhancement.
• Perform unit testing for integration point enhanced and resolve defects.
• Create additional data model elements and extend the existing application data model with new properties as needed for integration components.
3. Applications configuration
• Manage application configuration and perform minor/major software upgrades.
• Configure screen layouts and create new screens in Guidewire Studio as and when required.
• Configure business rules and other business logic in Guidewire’s scripting language.
• Create forms and letter templates and their supporting XML descriptor files.
• Create and modify existing type lists.
• Configure operational parameters for roles, permissions, user attributes, regions, etc.
• Create and extend data model elements with new properties for the existing application.
4. Stakeholder engagements
• Regularly communicate with management and technical support colleagues.
• Provide solutions to business challenges and input into technical decisions.
• Provide comprehensive support to internal customers; achieve resolution to outstanding problems or issues.
• Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers.
• Preform ad hoc task when required by line manager.
• Matric & Tertiary qualification (degree/diploma) in Computer Science or Information Systems.
• Developers may work with multiple programming languages and operating systems and knowledge of coding languages will be advantageous (e.g. Java, C#, C, or C++, API, Web API).
Ideal and advantage:
• Frameworks: Spring, Spring Boot, MVC, Jutro(Guidewire).
• Tooling: IntelliJ IDE, VS Code, Github, JIRA, Confluence and Jenkins Application Servers (Tomcat, Apache HTTP, IIS).
• Coding languages that will be advantageous Guidewire (Gosu).
• .Net and Azure development also advantageous.
• ITIL foundation certificate.
• Cobit 5.
• 5+ years proven knowledge and experience in development and testing using Object Oriented Languages (Preferable Java 8+ or C#).
• Operating at the level of a professionally qualified, experienced specialists and mid-management.
• Working on Microsoft environments (Support and configuration).
• Implementing and deploying web services/applications (SOAP/REST).
• Responding to second/third line support.
• Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning.
• Knowledge of database legislation.
• Interpreting data.
• Managing relationships.
• Communicating clearly.
• Embracing change.
• Team working.
• Taking initiative.
• Driving results.
• Managing risks.
• Flexibility and adaptability.
• Willingness to keep up to date with the new technology development.
• Stress tolerance.
A South African citizen of any gender, preference will be given to an EE candidate.
- The role will be in Illovo, Johannesburg